For details of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society, train services on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway, the Museum of Scottish Railways
and our main line Railtours, see the
Scottish Railway Preservation Society main website.
The Scottish heritage railways are linked from the SRPS main site . All the heritage railways in the United Kingdom are linked from the Heritage Railway Association list .
All five of the Scottish pre grouping (pre-1923) railways are represented by societies that research their history and publish the results. They are:
- Caledonian Railway Association
- The Caledonian Railway extended from Carlisle via Annandale to Glasgow (Central and Buchanan Street), Edinburgh (Princes Street), Aberdeen and Oban.
- Glasgow & South Western Railway Association
- The Glasgow & South Western Railway owned lines in Renfrewshire, Ayrshire, Dumfriesshire and Galloway. Its London expresses competed with the Caledonian, and operated from Glasgow St Enoch to Carlisle via Nithsdale.
- Great North of Scotland Railway Association
- The Great North of Scotland Railway Railway served the north east of Scotland from Aberdeen to Elgin, an agricultural area which includes the fishing ports of Buchan and the splendid scenery of Deeside and Speyside.
- Highland Railway Society
- The Highland Railway main line connects Perth with Inverness, and the company also served Keith, Kyle of Lochalsh, Wick and Thurso.
- North British Railway Study Group
- The North British Railway operated from Berwick to Edinburgh (Waverley), Glasgow Queen Street, Aberdeen and Mallaig.
More useful stuff is at:
- 197 Aerial Photography
- This site has some great views of Scotland, and of the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway in particular. Highly recommended!
- Ewan Crawford's site offers a detailed geographical history of Scotland's railways, and up-to-the-minute news.
- ScotRail trains in Scotland, updates and news.
For information about other industrial and transport collections in Scotland, try:
- STICK (Scottish Transport & Industrial Collections Knowledge Network)
- Details of other Scottish museums holding industrial collections, and links.
For information on amazing museum collections in the UK, and in Europe, see the rapidly growing websites:
- MICHAEL (pronounced "mee-k-l")-UK
- Website presenting the cultural heritage of the UK in a readily searchable form.
- MICHAEL - all Europe
- Multilingual searchable presentation of the cultural heritage of Europe.