Scottish Railway Preservation Society Collections pages

0-4-0ST National Coal Board Area 3 (Central West) No.4

Owned by East Lothian Council. NCB black livery.
NCB Central West area No.4, Central Area No.6.
Built 1937, Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co., Kilmarnock. Works No.2043.

The locomotive was built originally (as their No.4) for United Collieries Ltd, and worked at Foulshiels Colliery, near Addiewell, West Lothian, and at Quarter Colliery, near Hamilton. After nationalisation in 1948, No.4 moved to Canderigg Colliery in 1951, Blantyre Colliery in 1954, then to Twechar in 1957. There it was renumbered as No.6 and worked at Bedlay and Wester Auchengeich Collieries before moving to Dollar Colliery in 1968, and later to Kinneil.

It came to Bo'ness for an engineering assessment of the boiler, with possible repair, and has now been restored to operational condition. It is likely to remain in Bo'ness for the foreseeable future.

Back to Steam Locomotives List
Back to Steam Locomotives List