Created in 1923 at the same time as the LNER, the LMS in Scotland grouped the Caledonian, Glasgow & South Western and Highland Railways. Initially the LMS built its own versions of old pre-Grouping designs.
LMS "Period 1" designs, built up to 1929, were developments of the Midland Railway's practice at Derby.
"Period 2" designs were built from 1929 to 1932, and the non-corridor versions had flush steel panelling.
William Stanier took up his appointment as Chief Mechanical Engineer in 1932, and the later "Period 3" LMS coaches were always referred to as "Stanier coaches". They retained a wooden bodyframe, but were steel flush panelled, while the interiors showed art deco features.
Construction of the LMS designs continued for several years into BR days, until new designs were ready. The BR-built LMS-design coaches could be distinguished by their "porthole" lavatory windows.
|12059||Third Class Non-Corridor Compartment coach||1930|
|37817||Luggage, Mail & Parcels Van||1935|
|31036||Full Brake coach||1939|
|27389||BR (LMS design) Third Class Open coach||1948|
|27407||BR (LMS design) Third Class Open coach||1948|
|24725||BR (LMS design) Corridor Composite coach||1950|
|DB999502||(LMS design) Inspection Saloon||1959|
|Back to Coaches Home Page|